Heavy Equipment Operator
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Operates and maintains various types of earth moving, paving and general construction equipment.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports directly to Project Superintendent and/or coordinator and/or Vice President of Operations.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of body motion including handling and operating levers or controls,climbing, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires use foot-controlled pedals. Requires sitting for extensive periods of time. Occasionally requires lifting and carrying items weighing up to 100 pounds.Requires corrected vision and hearing within normal range.Requires workings under stressful condition.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITION: Frequent exposure to rain, sleet, snow, dust, mud, heat, cold, noise vibration and other conditions common to a construction site. Contractual obligations may require irregular hours, out-of-town work, overnight stays, nights, weekends and holidays.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This may not include all of the duties assigned)
- Reads and sets elevations and grades.
- Distinguishes between properties, types and moisture content of soils.
- Performs preventive maintenance and inspections.
- Operates various types of ditching, trenching, hoisting, earth-moving and miscellaneous construction equipment ( or asphalt and concrete paving machines and equipment).
- Starts, warms up, checks controls and shuts down machines.
- Know and understand, as well as follow, the rules and regulations of the company "Employee safety policy and Handbook."
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of the safe and efficient use of hand and powertools, including but not limited to hand shovel, pick construction bar, rake, broom and other hand-held power tools. Knowledge of safety rules for construction sites and the ability to abide by them.
Experience: Minimum of 2 year experience may be required.
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE: Valid and active driver's license. CDL license with hazardous materials is vital but may not be required.
ALTERNATIVE TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Construction Experience within this job description and a commercial, active and valid drivers license (CDL) with endorsement is vital but may not be required.
To apply for any of these openings please select from one of the following applications.